Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Twenty-five years go by quick!

My high school class is having it's 25th reunion this weekend. Though I had been looking forward to it for some time, I won't be there. The number one reason is because of the baby. My reunion is three states and about 600 miles away. I can't possibly drive it and dragging him onto a plane doesn't seem like a better solution. So, much like my 20th reunion when I had a new baby boy (about three months old that time), I will be sitting at home.
The question I have to ask myself is why does it matter?
These are people that I spent the better part of my teen years being ignored by. Some of them were nicer than others, but I can honestly say that I have not maintained a long term relationship with anyone I went to high school with.
I have also spent way too many days of my adult life wanting to go back to my home town and "show them" how great my life is, what a smart successful husband I managed to snag, what a big house I have, how wonderful my (now) eight children are. However, somewhere along the way I realized that (almost) all these people have lives they think are pretty good and aren't going to be impressed. They just want to get together and for a few brief moments, be 16, 17, 18 again and forget the rest.I can't say I want to go back to being a teen again. I am actually more interested in the future. So, maybe I will see them all at the 30th reunion, if I don't have something better to do.

No comments: