Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Quiet After the Storm

It's the Sunday after Christmas and all through the house, a few creatures are stirring, even screaming now and then. Mom sits quietly on her bed, enjoying the tranquility of knowing that the worst is over. I can't say that any of it went off exactly as planned (as if there ever was a plan!) but the kids are happy and we had a nice reunion with my long-lost brother (we hadn't seen him in six years, or three kids ago.) All things considered, not the Currier & Ives holiday I always hope for, but not too bad I guess.
We were supposed to leave for the beach tonight. Because we no longer fit into a single vehicle, I sent hubby and sons 1 & 2 on ahead with promises I wouldn't be far behind with the rest of the flock. After a point, I decided it would be better to leave tomorrow. Hubby came to the same conclusion with no prompting from me (!) so here I sit, enjoying some peace and quiet before heading out tomorrow. Not that I don't want to go, on the contrary, I do enjoy it. I have just been wound up way too tight and I needed to catch my breath and just chill for a bit. So, tomorrow, I will be much calmer and may actually be looking forward to New Year's. I am already looking forward to life AFTER the the first.

No comments: