Friday, August 6, 2010

Bras and Other Engineering Marvels

My oldest daughter starts high school on Monday. She has a new uniform (the whole school has new ones actually) and the oxford shirt is somewhat opaque, so we had to pick up some undershirts for her to wear underneath. While we were at it, she told me she needed some new bras. Despite the fact that I have been a full figured member of the bra wearing sorority for years, I am still no expert on bras. Frankly, I think it was simpler when I was her age. I know there were no "Wunder Bras" and something called "the Ego Booster". You were either full-figured or not and the rest was either measurement or guesstimate. There are just too many choices now. Anyway, we got four (I think) in different configurations of rear and front fastening, sport back, scoop front and I don't know what else. I am sure that those four cost more time and money than I have spent on bras in the last three years. This is another reason I am grateful for having more boys than girls.
I gripe about my daughters, a lot, and it isn't completely fair. Granted, my daughters have easily 4 times more clothes than the boys. And they are much more likely to change clothes multiple times in a day (sometimes getting the younger boys to get dressed at all is a challenge) and the girls are more prone to screaming at the tops of their lungs at each other. However, they are quick to pick up a crying little brother, or to bring Mom a cold drink, or offer`a kiss and a hug before bedtime, and I am more often getting glimpses into the strong, vibrant women they will become and it makes all the other stuff seem less important.

No comments: