Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Technically Speaking, He's Not My Baby Anymore

My youngest turns 2 on Saturday. When I think back on all that has happened since I found out I was pregnant with him, it astounds me. The biggest thing I suppose, was me joining the gym. It really made the pregnancy go by quickly and easily, though as you might suspect, a woman with eight kids doesn't typically have difficult pregnancies. I am still not where I had hoped to be weight-wise by now, but all other areas are doing well.
When this guy was born, his oldest brother was starting his second year of undergrad and now he holds 2 degrees and is in grad school. Even more amazing is that his dad is slightly more than a year away from graduating law school! I never could have imagined that the business he worked for 20+ years to build would be legislated out of existence before baby turned 5.
These past couple of years have brought great challenges and great joys, that little boy being at the top of everyone's list of joys. It never ceases to amaze me how these little people come into your life and completely fill a space you never realized existed in your life and you can't ever imagine how you lived before, without them.
Getting back to the "not my baby anymore" thing; he is most certainly a toddler, running, climbing, playing, talking, and scrolling through the photos of him on my phone. But in the motherly sense, he will always be my "baby" just as his 7 siblings still are.
Happy Birthday, big guy!

No comments: